Thursday, May 28, 2009

Determination: Never Give Up

Many people are going thru tough times right now and it's really hard to think of one's dreams or goals when you're wondering how you're going to pay next month's mortgage or rent payment. But like this article from Joyce Meyer Ministries explains "God is a rewarder of the relentless, of those who are determined, persevering, steadfast and faithful."

When I was going through my trial last fall, this passage helped to get me through: Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. ~ Romans 5:3-5

Rejoice in our sufferings? Be joyful in our trials? Yes. God never said that life would be without trials. He gave us free will and we make mistakes, make wrong decisions, take the wrong path. We are supposed to learn from our mistakes and trials. Sometimes trials happen thru no fault of your own - like lay-offs at work. But the idea that we need to keep going, to get up after falling down, PERSEVERE.

I used to say "I'm going to have great character when this is over." And I think I do. Now as I wait yet again for unemployment insurance to kick in, I'm in a better place. I am at the mercy of the State of Arizona and there's nothing I can do but wait. Yet, I'm not sitting twiddling my thumbs. I've started this blog and 2 others, I've revised an old singles website of mine and set up my novel's website (see links below).

Character builders I've learned:

1. Trust in God - He is there 24/7.
2. Patience - there are a lot of things that are beyond your control. There's nothing you can and there's no sense getting angry or upset.
3. Don't be lazy - If there is something that is in your control - do it.
4. Don't be afraid or embarrassed to ask for help -- $200/m in food stamps comes in handy. I've got free health insurance and prescriptions.
5. I spend more time with the Lord - praying and reading the bible.

I recommend Philippians and James. Here are a couple of quotes from each:

Don’t worry about anything, instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. ~ Philippians 4:6

It's hard to be grateful to God when you're going thru a tough time, but you have to. Give thanks for the food you do have, the roof over your head - whatever it may be, the people in your life, etc. Count your blessings.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. ~James 1:2-4

There's that perseverance word again.

And of course, the old standby - the 23rd Psalm:

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [or through the darkest valley] I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

When I feel my lowest, I always take this out and read it aloud. I copied it on an index card and carry it in my purse.

Evil is the absence of God just as darkness is the absence of light. Strive towards the light- Jesus Christ!

Read Joyce Meyer's latest book:
Never Give Up!: Relentless Determination to Overcome Life's Challenges

If you don't have a relationship with God and Jesus, pray this prayer wholeheartedly right now:
Dear Jesus, I am a sinner and need you in my life. Please forgive me of my sins. I believe that You died on the cross and rose from the grave. Please come into my heart and life. Thank you for helping me turn from my sins and follow you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

If you received Jesus into your heart, welcome to the family of God! The following will help you deepen your relationship with Christ:

  1. Pray. Just talk to God no matter where you are. He doesn’t care what the words are, just that they are sincere.
  2. Read the Bible everyday to learn about Jesus and how to live that pleases God. Start with 1 John, then the Gospel of John, the Philippians.
  3. An important part of helping your relationship with Christ grow is to tell others about Him. Demonstrate God’s love and be active in telling others about Jesus.
  4. Find a bible-based church and become active getting to know other Christians. Find one with a singles ministry or groups for people your age. Many have groups for different interests. Shop around, but commit yourself to finding one and joining a church family. (Read the Benefits of a Church Family).
If you have questions, please feel free to comment and I will reply.

God Bless,
Giselle <>< http://www.giselleaguiar.com/
Check out my new column for singles at Phoenix Examiner.com







1 comment:

  1. This has really encouraged me this afternoon. I felt lonely, desperate and dispair. But am revived again. Amen and God bless you who prepared this.

    ReplyDelete