Monday, May 25, 2009

No Regrets

A few days ago, I briefly tuned into a PBS Nova documentary: "Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives". Mark Everett's father, a quantum physicist, introduced the scientific world to his radical theory of parallel universes. In a nutshell, he says that there are parallel worlds for each person of what would have been if a different decision had been made.

For instance, when I was in 3rd grade, my parents made me decide between piano lessons and dance lessons because we couldn't afford to do both. I chose piano. So according to Everett, there is another Giselle in a parallel universe who chose dance. I've always wondered what my life would have been if I had chosen dance instead of piano. For one thing, I probably be skinny. I'd probably be a choreographer on Broadway since I love musicals or a professional ballroom dancer. (Right - imagine me on Dancing with the Stars!)

Another major decision in my life was moving to Puerto Rico after college rather than staying in NY and working for K-mart in NJ. I moved to PR with my parents. So, in this other world, is there a Giselle running a K-mart in central Jersey?

Four years ago, I opted to move to Phoenix to escape Florida hurricanes. Is there a Giselle somewhere still working as a church secretary in Florida?

I don't think so. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. One could waste a lot of time wondering "what if." Forget it!

Today's Memorial Day - a day for remembering and it brings back memories. Memories of times past and a lot of "what ifs." We can't relive the past or go back and take that other fork-in-the-road. We need to remember and learn from our past and move on. Many times I think about past decisions and mistakes that I've made and when I realize what I'm doing, I shake the thought out of my head and focus on the current moment.

Lot's of things trigger memories - one can't avoid that, but the idea is not to dwell on them. We've all made mistakes, but if we don't learn from them, we're doomed to repeat them. And we are probably going to make more mistakes. We are not perfect - only God is. God gave us Free Will to make decisions on our own. He also gave us the Bible to show us how to live to avoid the mistakes and to help us learn that the mistakes of the past are all lessons and that we should not make those mistakes again. God forgives us for our past mistakes, but we have to ask for His forgiveness. He sent Jesus to die for those mistakes. Jesus guarantees that we will not go to Hell, but live forever in paradise with Him.

...But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. ~ Philippians 3:13-14

If you don't have a relationship with God and Jesus, pray this prayer wholeheartedly right now:
Dear Jesus, I am a sinner and need you in my life. Please forgive me of my sins. I believe that You died on the cross and rose from the grave. Please come into my heart and life. Thank you for helping me turn from my sins and follow you. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

If you received Jesus into your heart, welcome to the family of God! The following will help you deepen your relationship with Christ:

  1. Pray. Just talk to God no matter where you are. He doesn’t care what the words are, just that they are sincere.
  2. Read the Bible everyday to learn about Jesus and how to live that pleases God. Start with 1 John, then the Gospel of John, the Philippians.
  3. An important part of helping your relationship with Christ grow is to tell others about Him. Demonstrate God’s love and be active in telling others about Jesus.
  4. Find a bible-based church and become active getting to know other Christians. Find one with a singles ministry or groups for people your age. Many have groups for different interests. Shop around, but commit yourself to finding one and joining a church family. (Read the Benefits of a Church Family).
Happy Memorial Day,
God Bless,
Giselle
I welcome questions.
E-mail: deovolente.love1@gmail.com
http://www.giselleaguiar.com/
Check out my new column for singles at Phoenix Examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment