Saturday, June 13, 2009

Compassion - What it is and Why You Need it

Compassion: Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it. (American Heritage Dictionary).

I was watching the video A History of God and theologian, Karen Armstrong said something like this:

"Compassion forces us to dethrone ourselves from the center of our universe. We prefer to fulfill our needs first. But we are supposed to see the needs of other people before ours."

My first thought was: "That explains a lot." Compassion requires true selflessness.

I once told a guy I was dating that he was incapable of thinking about anyone else but himself. He replied, gee, I was just thinking of calling you. (I was going through a tough time and he offered no support.) That was the red flag of red flags. I liked him, we had a lot in common. He was a gentleman (I think that was more from his Army training.)

Kindness is not compassion. Kindness may be the first step to compassion. Kindness is having or showing a tender, considerate and helping nature. Compassion is different because of the word "passion" and its origins:

Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin passi , passin-, sufferings of Jesus or a martyr, from Late Latin, physical suffering, martyrdom, sinful desire, from Latin, an undergoing, from passus, past participle of pat, to suffer; see p(i)- in Indo-European roots.

Kindness becomes compassion when suffering is involved.

Jesus Christ came into the world to show us compassion.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. ~ John 3:16

How can we be expected to truly love someone else if we don't know the love of God?

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. ~ 1 John 2: 15-17

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. ~ 1 John 4: 7-8

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. ~ John 4:16b

If you want to feel God's love and have a relationship with Jesus and be guaranteed a place in Heaven, then pray this prayer wholeheartedly right now:

Dear Lord Jesus,
Thank you for dying on the cross and shedding your precious blood for my sins. I am sorry for all my sins. I ask you to come into my heart, forgive all my sins, and be my Lord and my Saviour. Father, I thank you now for forgiving all my sins and giving me eternal life in Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

If you received Jesus into your heart, welcome to the family of God! The following will help you deepen your relationship with Christ:
  1. Pray. Just talk to God no matter where you are. He doesn’t care what the words are, just that they are sincere.
  2. Read the Bible everyday to learn about Jesus and how to live that pleases God. Start with 1 John, then the Gospel of John, the Philippians.
  3. An important part of helping your relationship with Christ grow is to tell others about Him. Demonstrate God’s love and be active in telling others about Jesus.
  4. Find a bible-based church and become active getting to know other Christians. Find one with a singles ministry or groups for people your age. Many have groups for different interests. Shop around, but commit yourself to finding one and joining a church family. (Read the Benefits of a Church Family).

I welcome questions. Either comment below or email.

God Bless,
Giselle <>< deovolente.love1@gmail.com
http://www.giselleaguiar.com/
Phoenix Singles Examiner

No comments:

Post a Comment